University of Phoenix Trademark Usage
This website contains general guidance for the proper use of University of Phoenix's various trademarks, service marks, and domain names. It is not intended as comprehensive guidance for all legal uses. Any questions regarding the proper use of these, or any other University of Phoenix marks or domain names not addressed here, should be directed to:
University of Phoenix Legal 河北快三开奖结果
ATTN: Tim West, Associate General Counsel
4025 S Riverpoint Parkway
Mail Stop: CF-K612
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Unauthorized use of University Of Phoenix marks is not permitted.
A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name.
A service mark is any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce, to identify and distinguish the services of one provider from services provided by others, and to indicate the source of the services.
Registration (®) Symbol
The letter R within a circle—®—is a symbol signifying federal trademark registration. The federal registration symbol is used once a mark (a trademark or service mark) is actually registered with the
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Even though an application for registration may be pending, a registration symbol may not be used before a mark has actually become registered. The registration symbol is typically superscripted to the right of the last letter of the mark.
Trademark (TM) and Service Mark (SM) Symbols
Trademark and Service mark symbols usually indicate that a party claims rights to a mark. These symbols are often used by a party before a federal registration is issued. There are no federal regulations governing the use of these symbols or designations, however, their use may be governed by local, state, or foreign laws. The TM or SM symbol is typically superscripted to the right of the last letter of the mark. These marks are commonly referred to as common law trademarks.
Notice identifying the registered owner of a mark. It is typically found at the bottom of the page on which a mark is used.
Common Law Trademarks
A non-federally registered mark commonly identified by a TM or SM symbol.
Mark Use in Commerce
Use of a mark in commerce including use in presentations, information materials, books, marketing materials, advertisements, external Web sites, etc.
Trademarks and service marks (collectively known as marks), when properly used, are legally protected indefinitely. The improper use of a mark can cause it to become diluted or regarded as generic, thereby causing the mark to lose some or all of its legal protection status. The following guidelines are provided to promote the proper use of University Of Phoenix marks in commerce.
- Use all University Of Phoenix marks with the appropriate symbols - ®, SM or TM as they are displayed in the University of Phoenix marks Inventory section of this Web site. The appropriate symbol is usually superscripted, and is placed to the right of the last letter of the mark. University Of Phoenix marks may be distinguished by using other typographic enhancements such as bold or italic type.
Examples of Symbol Placement:
University of Phoenix®
- Trademarks are adjectives that describe a noun (i.e., a specific person, place, thing, or service).
Examples of proper use of the symbol (note that the symbol is not used when the mark is used as a noun):
University of Phoenix® curriculum materials are available online for all students and faculty.
University of Phoenix allows students and faculty to retrieve curriculum materials online.
- Do not use University Of Phoenix marks in the possessive or plural form.
- Never combine (alter the mark by joining it with another mark) a University Of Phoenix mark with a trademark or service mark of a third party. Combining University Of Phoenix's marks with those of others may confuse consumers as to which company is the source of the product or service
- In instances where University Of Phoenix may want to co-brand with a third party, a license agreement is necessary. Assistance can be obtained by contacting University Of Phoenix Legal 河北快三开奖结果.
- Usage of University Of Phoenix marks for sponsorships (i.e. 10K races, clean air campaigns, etc.) should be pre-approved by University Of Phoenix Legal 河北快三开奖结果.
- Give proper attribution when using University Of Phoenix marks. An attribution notice should be placed in all material used in commerce that includes a University Of Phoenix mark.
Sample Attribution notices:
PHOENIXCONNECT® is a registered service mark of University of Phoenix, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries
University of Phoenix® and UOPX® are registered trademarks of University of Phoenix, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
a. On single page material, the attribution notice should be placed at the bottom of the page, and should be separated by a line break from a copyright notice if one is used.
b. On multi-page material with a copyright page, the attribution notice should be placed on that page.
c. On multi-page material, usually 12 pages or less and without a copyright page, the attribution notice may be placed on the last page or back of the material or as noted below.
d. On multi-page material of more than 12 pages and without a copyright page, the attribution notice must be placed at the base of the first page where the mark is used.
e. All material used in commerce that is published electronically or that may be used in countries outside the United States, and which includes a University of Phoenix mark, must include the following at the end of the attribution notice:
“…in the United States and/or other countries.”
University of Phoenix Marks Inventory
BE A SOCIAL HERO®
CONNECTING EDUCATION TO CAREERS®
FOREVER A PHOENIX® I AM A PHOENIX®
MOVING AT THE SPEED OF HEALTH CARE®
PAYING IT FORWARD®
PHOENIX CAREER SERVICES®
TEACHING IT FORWARD® UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX®
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX STADIUM® UOPX®
Common Law Trademarks and Service Marks
FOCUS TO THE FINISH℠
FOREVER A PHOENIX℠
I AM A PHOENIX℠
PAYING IT FORWARD℠
DOCTORAL EDUCATION ECOSYSTEM℠
Common Law /Pending Trademarks
A DEGREE DOESN’T JUST CHANGE YOU ™
IDEAS RISING ™
PHOENIX SCHOLAR ™
PHOENIX FOR LIFE ™